It seems that no matter where you look, every article points to the importance of effective marketing to Gen Z, or the generation born after 1996. This unique groups demands a greater level of personalization in marketing than any other generation because they’re being raised in a time where everything has always been customized to them. Career advisors should follow suit and adjust marketing efforts to fit the needs and interests of the next generation. But personalization means more than just using a first name in your communication. Where do you start? Continue reading for 5 ways to personalize career center outreach to Gen Z.
- Personalize everything. Personalization goes beyond using a student’s first name in an email. Think of the data they share on social media and professional profiles everyday including interests, area of study, organizations, volunteer work and more, then use it to your advantage when framing communication. Rather than blasting all students with information about an event or workshop, try tailoring the message to those interested in a particular area of study or cause.
- Connect with them via social media. It’s important to be where your audience is—and for Gen Z that means on all the major social media networks including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest and Snapchat. You can create unique messages for different student populations on each of these platforms. Try to post to each at least once a day, if not more frequently.
- Connect with them via mobile. Being where your audience is also means connecting with students using mobile. Luckily, GradLeaders offers a mobile-ready student interface and text messaging functionality to make this an easy undertaking for you. Try sending students text message notifications personalized to students if there’s an upcoming event or appointment that pertains to them. If you haven’t yet activated this feature, send us an email at email@example.com
- Use content. The next generation of students regularly scrolls through news feeds, photos, and videos at rapid speeds. Get your career center brand noticed by creating helpful content addressing frequent questions you hear from students, then post to all major social media networks.
- Utilize smart automation. Cerkl is a company that uses behavioral analytics and machine learning to generate personalized content via email, web and mobile applications. With Cerkl, it’s easy to reach Gen Z students with automatically curated, tailored career center newsletters including matching jobs, upcoming events and workshops specific to student’s career preferences, populated directly from GradLeaders’ standard APIs.
To enable comments sign up for a Disqus account and enter your Disqus shortname in the Articulate node settings.